Benefits of staying local for travel
Thinking of a wellness staycation in Canada? As the owner of West Coast Fitness Vacations (wellness retreat company in B.C., Canada) THANK YOU. Now, more than ever small local businesses need Canadian support. Similar to not buying stuff made in China, heading south of the border for a wellness retreat kind of feels… well… unnecessary?
In this article, I’ll share why you should add domestic destinations to your dream travel list.
- You’ll fall in love with Canada again
- The flight to Vancouver is probably short
- Maybe you can deduct some of your stay as a business expense (???)
- B.C. mountains have some of the countries most stunning nature.
- You’ll make friends closer to home. Maybe they’ll become travel buddies for future trips!
Traveling in your own country has a host of benefits! Let’s jump in with number one.
1- You’ll get a new appreciation for Canada
British Columbia is Canada’s western province defined by its Pacific coastline and glacial mountain ranges. Nature areas offer spectacular hiking and biking trails. West Coast Fitness Vacations has wellness retreat locations in Vancouver Island and Whistler.
Our upcoming season is September to April, and we’ve got monthly wellness retreats located just steps from the ocean! What an inspiring way to energize your healthy intentions. If you’re looking at programs for next year, Whistler Blackcomb is a major ski resort that hosted the 2010 Winter Olympics. The scenic Sea-to-Sky Highway links Whistler with Vancouver, at the province’s southern U.S. border.
UPCOMING HEALTH RETREAT> Vancouver Island Residential Weight Loss Camp.
2- There’s a good chance that a flight to Vancouver is short
Unless you’re traveling from one of the Eastern provinces, getting to Vancouver International Airport is likely only a few hours in the air. You might also be able to drive here.
Traveling a shorter distance on an airplane is helpful to the environment. And lowering your travel pollution makes a global difference to climate change, from fossil fuel consumption through to lowered C02 emissions. But in Canada, asking people to limit their flying for other methods of transportation might not be possible.
We need to move towards a more sharing and caring way of living on this planet. Doing without the weekend shop in New York might be one of the least painful ways of contributing to that. The first step is to reduce the amount we fly. – Daniel Mittler, Greenpeace.
While there’s no possible way that I could reduce my air travel to a level that environmentalists would high-five me for, I can reduce it when possible. Many Canadians have loved ones all over the country, can’t take the extra time to travel places by land, or like the affordability of cheap flights and cashing in air-miles. So for eco-conscious travellers, reducing carbon footprint with a wellness staycation in Canada makes sense.
3- It Might Have Tax Benefits To Your Canadian Employer
Remote-working guests of West Coast Fitness Vacations might be able to claim part of their stay. This could either be done if you need to work while at the fitness retreat, or if you’re in an industry that can claim on personal development or health education.
While this is a long-shot, and depends what industry you’re in among other variables, some guests have had success. Check with your accountant for possible deductions with Canadian personal development courses and fitness instruction for improved health. If your doctor can provide confirmation in writing that you need to lose weight for health reasons, a portion of your weight loss camp might be deductible. We’ve never had a Canadian guest be able to claim their stay at American wellness retreat programs, but several have had luck with us.
It’s pretty challenging these days to carve out time to take entire days off, even when visiting a health retreat. West Coast Fitness Vacations attracts many business owners who need daily time to work.
Our weight loss fitness retreat gives plenty of time and opportunity for keeping up with work obligations. The fitness retreat schedule runs from 9am to 2pm Monday to Friday. Your weekend is 100% free time, which means that you can catch up on pending tasks on your computer.
We’re one of the best wellness retreats for women who have to keep on top of their work obligations while away. The social culture is also steered that way with many of the other health retreat guests also needing designated, focused computer time while here.
4- You’ll Experience Some Of Canada’s Most Beautiful Landscapes
Seeking outdoor fun and getting back into shape while wander-lusting is what weight loss retreats are all about.
West Coast Fitness Vacations is a wellness retreat company for women aged 35 and over, who are outside of healthy range. We’ve got a variety of trip styles – our Whistler wellness retreats are adventure based, for example. They hike, bike, kayak and do outdoor fitness classes with like-minded female travellers.
True enough, over the years perhaps walking the Great Wall or bike touring in Italy was a badge of honour. Times have changed. Dust off your list of domestic aspirations and start planning for 2021!
GET STARTED> Whistler guided hiking tours.
5- Joining A Wellness Retreat In Canada Is Patriotic! And Cheaper…
- Canada has incredible beaches and mountains – wellness retreat programs are on-trend. It’s not true that we’re behind the States for innovation! Canada is innovative and our manufacturers follow latest trends to bring you the most current European designs without having to pay higher prices to bring product from Europe.
- West Coast Fitness Vacations provides truly transformational travel that’s respected world-wide. Click here for reviews.
- We need to get together as Canadians and support each others businesses. When you say yes to working with us, you directly support my business. And when my business is supported, more tax goes to the government… and it’s tiny drop closer to our dollar not being 40%.
- Joining in Canada means no ‘wondering’ if the border is going to be open when it’s time to fly home. If something goes wrong, and you need to go to hospital, you’ve got the full infrastructure of your Canadian health plan working for you.
- Deciding to do a wellness staycation in Canada, creates local jobs. These jobs have a ripple effect of more workers paying taxes, buying other Canadian goods and services and keeping our economy strong.
- The food plan is familiar, using locally sourced ingredients and brand names that you can continue using back home. The weather is likely similar to your home province also, with the same seasonal produce.
- It’s patriotic! Something to really feel good about.
6- You’ll Make Friends Closer To Home
While global friendships can definitely be an advantage, there’s a downside. Like, that some jokes about Canadian culture just can’t be explained to someone who isn’t from here. And you might want to invite your friends on the health retreat with you to an event that’s important to you – easier for them to accept, if it’s less distance to travel.
Meeting new people is one of the best parts of travelling, but when you live at opposite sides of the world it’s hard to stay in touch. When you make new friends on trips in your own country, there’s more of a chance you’ll keep in contact and catch up again in the near future. – Wanderlust.co.uk
I experienced this first hand. I stayed at a yoga/surf retreat in India for two months, and made (what I thought to be) great connections. Between time zone differences and conversation often relevant to their home country, after a few years it became harder to maintain friendships. The Canadians that I met there, I’m still in touch with.
7- It’ll Inspire Future Trips, And Be Easier To Find Friends To Do It With
Wellness retreat programs like Whistler Fitness Vacations are wonderful for solo travellers. Yet some become solo travellers out of necessity, not by choice. It’s not always easy to find a friend who wants to go on a women’s wellness retreat on the dates that you want to go. It’s even harder to coordinate with friends with family travel plans.
For this reason, most of our guests join us on their own, knowing that they’ll make lots of great friends here. Many coordinate a second trip together, whether back to our weight loss retreat for a tuneup or elsewhere for a new adventure. This fosters deeper friendships, with like minded women who love active travel and staying fit.